Tuesday 6 October 2009

The Great Onigiri Mystery

AM

Least: At about 9:00am, the pneumatic wheelnut tools were chattering at full volume. With a steady stream of luxury cars keeping te mechanics busy at Ujita Auto Salon, there is always some disturbance coming through our window. Later in the day, after the cars have been tuned, the revving starts and occasionally, the receptionist calls the boys downstairs using an over-amplified intercom. It is amazing to see the number of cars rolling through that business, but the noise it makes is a crashing bore.

Most: Close to 11:59am, I found myself taking photos from Rosie's new Etsy site. Although I dare to suggest that some of the items are visually abhorrent, it doesn't seem to prevent people from buying them online. The most interesting outfit to date has been a mustardy suit that looks as if it was created for a science fiction show from the 1970s or 1980s (Buck Rogerss?). It will be interesting to see how quickly it sells and even more interesting to find out who buys it.



PM


Least: At 3:11pm, I sat in my usual Tuesday train carriage, an was greeted by some filthy looks from the man and woman sitting next to me. The man looked me up and down a few times and muttered something in Japanese, but it was clearly impolite. I noticed that despite his effeminate umbrella, he had home needled tattoos on his knuckles and hands. He was either a former gangster, or simply an arsehole - most likely the latter.

Most: Sometime after 1:00pm, I munched into one of the two onigiri that I had bought for lunch. Buying onigiri can be an adventure, especially when they do not that the picture of the delicious triangle's internal delights. Today, I was lucky. As I destroyed the snack, it became clear that I had bought an onigiri with perfectly rare white fish with a delicate soy-based dressing surrounding it. This was in stark contrast to its companion, which was what we in Australia would call, a rotten plum. Despite this set back, it was a vaguely interesting meal.

________________________

Footnote: One of the delights of today, was relating the story of a 20 year old student who told me yesterday that the last present she bought was a Stitch costume for her cat. She said that although the outfit was a little small, her cat (named Stitch) looked great in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment